Hello!

So, it’s been a while, but I’m still here! Getting myself back into the creative groove after our move took way longer than I expected. My work area had turned into a catch all for anything and everything. It was not very conducive to creativity. After Christmas I was determined to take it back.

This is what I ended up after a trip to Ikea, an unexpected trip for the kids to visit grandparents, and a few days of organizing and purging. Not too shabby. It’s not that clean right now, but everything has a place and I love it.

Have you ever imagined making something and you can’t let it go until you make it. That’s what my current little project is. It’s been camping out in my brain since October.

I saw this magazine cover in a doctors office and knew instantly that I had to recreate it in miniature.

I started off with some questionable math to figure out the dimensions for my box. I tried to scale down the magazine size based on how big my putka pods where in relation to the measurements of pumpkins on the magazine. It’s just a bit off, but I don’t think it will be too bad.

Next the pods needed stems. I used some jute string and lots of glue.

It’s at this point that I start to question if I have any clue about what I’m doing. Thankfully, I’ve learned to just keep going.

I’m glad I did. After it was dry and trimmed it looked pretty good.

Here they are after a little paint and some dry brushing. I also made a few tinier pumpkins out of polymer clay.

Now on to the box. I painted the inside of the box with a yellow ochre paint and made a foliage base from moss and dried leaves that were crumbled up.

Speaking of leaves, I’ve seen a tip about using dried leaves and a leaf punch to make realistic fall leaves. The problem I ran into is that all the leaves around my house are brown now. I needed them to have a little bit of color variation. I ended up using watered down gouache in crimson and yellow ochre to tint the leaves.

This is a test of how the leaves would look. I’m pretty happy with them. I’ll probably need to punch more, but I’ll do that as needed.

That’s where I am now. I need to do the finishing touches on all of the pumpkins and work out how to make shoes. I’ve made a few attempts that haven’t quite worked. I’ll be making a few modifications on the last pair that I attempted and I hope that works right. On the up side I haven’t glued the shoes to my fingers yet, so that’s a win.

Anyway, that’s what I’ve been up to and I look forward to sharing more of the crazy places my brain takes me.