Two Right Feet

I’ve put my pumpkin project on hold the last few months. Those darn shoes have had me stumped. That is until yesterday. I needed to drop my husband off at the airport, which gave me the perfect excuse to visit the closest dollhouse store to me. After spending too much time taking it all in I found a pair of little white tennis shoes. They are made of a soft metal and painted white.

IMG_2055

After getting them home and taking them out of the package I realized there was something off about them. Turns out they were 2 right shoes.

IMG_2056

I used a metal file and tried to reshape them a bit. My original plan was to use only the front half of the shoe, so I ended up cutting the shoes in half before repainting them. I’m hoping the one on the left looks a little less “right”.

IMG_2057

This is where I last left the pumpkin box:

img_1434

And for a refresher, here is the inspiration:

img_1117

This is where its at now after repainting the shoes and finally starting to glue things in place:

IMG_2068

I’m pretty happy with it so far. It will possibly have an acrylic cover over it. I want to try to include the words “dive into fall!” on the acrylic to tie more into cover of the magazine.

The art studio build is moving along slowly. The walls have been made taller and squared off by adding some MDF to the original slanted walls. I’ve also filled in the holes for the windows with some foam core, I just haven’t gotten pictures of that yet.

IMG_2037 copy

I’ve also taken apart the front panel of the Serendipity Shed to get a better idea of what the front of the building will look like. It’s rough, but I can sort of see it.

IMG_2040 copy

Now, if you need me I’ll be cutting eleventy billion pieces of wood for the herringbone floor.

Advertisements

Unreliable Brain

After hours of contemplation, plotting, and planning I’ve made some changes to my plans.

I’ve decided to not to do the arch. I didn’t like how tall it was going to make the whole build without really adding substance, if that makes sense. It would be a distraction. I’ve decided instead to do a small section of a larger building. It keeps the focus on the art studio, while offering opportunities to add life behind other windows.

I set out this week to pick up some MDF to start the outer box. I learned that my mind isn’t the sharpest when thinking on the fly. While standing in the hardware store I completely lost all sense of space and dimensions, changed my plans based on this confusion, and bought MDF in the wrong sizes. Once I got home I realized the errors of my ways and vowed never to trust my brain again. Thankfully I could return the wrong sized pieces and then started over, this time with my measurements in hand.

I’ve got the whole outer box together now, just haven’t taken a picture of it. Next will be adding the shelves in to frame out where the kit is going to be.

Also, I’ve learned that stepping outside of your comfort zone is a surefire way to second guess everything you do. I’ll just keep plugging away and it will all come together…I hope.