Running Out of Time

Eeek! Twelve days until this build needs to be done! I’ve been oscillating between sheer panic and feeling confident I’ll get it all done.

I thought I’d drop in with a little update on what I’ve been working on during the past few weeks.

I’ve been trying to get some of the details in order. I worked on sketches, paintings, making more paint brushes, and also built the little shelves to store my paper and extra brushes.

Started adding paint to some of the furniture.

I made some flower arrangements for my tiny artist to paint. These were really fun to make. I was a florist for many years and love playing with flowers. I don’t know why it took me so long to have my 2 hobbies merge.

Then I tried slicing my fingertip off while cutting plexiglass for the windows. The plexiglass had been giving me such a hard time the past few weeks and I was excited because I finally found a tool that would easily cut through it. I was using my craft knife to cut the plastic film that protects the plexiglass and sliced right into my finger. It was a stupid mistake. Luckily I didn’t need stitches, but it did slow me down a little.

Next up I needed a railing for the balconies. My first design was way too busy. I really liked it, but the curls of the design and the plants fought for attention. I ended up with a very simple railing that I was able to make with my Cricut.

Our family has a game where we hide little plastic animals around the house (a baboon in a shoe, a koala in the shower, a brown bear wrapped up in a phone charger, etc.). This build has been a popular hiding location. For a while there was a plastic squirrel, who wanted to be an artist, living in the studio. Now there’s a rather wild cat that’s taken up residency in the upstairs apartment.

The window coverings for the upstairs neighbor are pleated off white curtains. I finished off the upstairs curtains today. I think I will need to add a more domesticated cat to one of the upstairs windows.

The downstairs neighbor will have aged shutters. I thought I was going to be done with the shutters today, but realized I’m bad at simple math and needed to make 3 more. Thankfully they come together quickly. The pieces are cut on the Cricut. I used mat board from the framing department of the craft store. The rest is just glue and paint. The downstairs French door will have shutters and a curtain.

I planned to use the French doors from the original kit on the inside of the studio. I realized that they were going to look too short with how tall I made the walls. So I came up with a plan to make them taller.

After removing the doors, I cut the bottom brace off of the door frame. My original plan was to modify the doors so that I could still use them in the space.

I added about 1.25″ to the frame. I think Legos are my favorite underrated miniature tool. Great for making corners square and keeping lines straight and flush.

This is about when I started to realize that I was planning on putting clear glass doors into a wall that goes nowhere. So, looking through the front you would just see right out the back and that kind of ruins the illusion of there being another room on the other side of the door. I played with the idea to just put curtains on the door, but I was worried that the quality of light shining through would also ruin the illusion.

So I designed a set of doors, on my Cricut, to fit the space.

This is my inspiration:

This is where I left them at the end of my work time today. A little more paint, some aging, and a door knob and they will be ready to install. I’m attempting to make them so that they open. We’ll see how that turns out.

Here they are leaning in place. That back wall is held in place by magnets. I wanted options for viewing and taking pictures. I’m not happy with the bright aqua walls. I have plans to tone down the color. It will still be a shade of aqua, just not under the sea aqua.

I still need to cut the hole in the back wall for the doors. Since it’s MDF I’ll need to use my jigsaw. I usually do all of my jigsaw work outside. However, Mother Nature wanted to throw an obstacle my way. We got over a foot of snow Monday and Tuesday and the table I use to cut wood on is buried in snow. I guess I’ll just have to dig it out. Oh, the stories our builds could tell.

I’ll leave you with a picture from last night’s sunset. The sun finally came out after 2 days of snow and turned the sky the most delicious shade of pink. We live in a very wooded area and I could just see it through the trees. The pink was almost gone by the time I found an area open enough to get a picture. I’m so happy I was able to capture it.