Yesterday I continued work on the hydrangea plant. I needed to find a way to make hydrangea leaves, lots of hydrangea leaves. I decided to give my Cricut try. I started by finding a hydrangea leaf template online. I uploaded it into Cricut design space, resized it so it would be 1:12 scale, and set it up to do 2 test cuts. Since I’m trying to use what I have on hand I wasn’t sure which type of paper, I already had, would work best between a heavy craft paper or a vintage typewriter paper. Turns out the typewriter paper was best. It’s thinner and easier to shape. I then set up the Cricut to cut out 160+ pairs of leaves.
Here they are after they were cut and removed from the mat. Knowing what I know now I should have colored the paper before I cut them. It would have saved a lot of time.
I used a combination of alcohol ink and water soluble markers to color each individual leaf.
It took the better part of 2 days to color the blossoms and leaves, glue all the blossoms and leaves in place, and add extra leaves to fill in the extra area around the stems. It was worth it.
I’m happy with the color variations on both the flowers and leaves. I couldn’t fully capture the color with my camera.
The next flower I’ll be working on are cosmos, or at least my artistic rendering of cosmos. I’m using the same typewriter paper, yellow flocking left over from my flower shop build a few years ago, glue, and wire. The paper punch is by Punch Bunch. They are really quick to make.
After the cosmos I’m thinking about trying to make little garden roses using the same paper punch. We’ll see how many I end up gluing to my fingers before I give up.